Roasted vegetables with broth and kale make up this hearty soup, itâ€™s a winter staple for those chilly days.
3 medium carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
2 large tomatoes, quartered
1 large onion, cut into 4 or 5 slices or wedges
250g butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut lengthwise into 1cm thick wedges
6 garlic cloves, leave the skin on
1 Tbsp olive oil
1L or more of vegetable or chicken stock
About 4 handfuls of finely chopped kale
3 large fresh thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
1 400g can of Cannellini beans, drained
- Preheat oven to 400F.Â 200C. Gas mark 6
- RubÂ a rimmed baking sheet with a thin coat of olive oil. PlaceÂ carrots, squash, tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a bowl sprinkle with a little more olive oil and salt and pepper. Massage the vegetables so that they are well coated with oil and place on the baking sheet.
- Roast vegetablesÂ for about 45 minutes, stirring once or twice, until they are cooked throughÂ and nicely browned.
- Remove the roasted squash and carrots from the pan to a cutting board. Cut into 1cm pieces and set aside.
- Remove the roasted garlic from their peelings and place in a food processor with the roasted tomatoes and onions. Pulse in the processor until almost smooth.
- Add a little of the stock to the baking sheet and scrape up any browned bits.
- Add the contents of the deglazed pan, the stock, and the purĂ©ed vegetables to a large pot. Add the chopped kale, thyme, and bay leaf to the pot. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered until the kale is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Now add the roasted carrots and squash and beans and simmer for a further 8 to 10 minutes, add a little more stock or water if it needs thinning.
- Check the seasoning. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf.