An easy, tasty side dish of winter vegetables.
COOK: 20 MINS
2 leeks, sliced
200g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved if large
25g unsalted butter
25g plain flour
250ml semi-skimmed milk
Good grating of fresh nutmeg
Tsp Dijon mustard â€“ optional
100g mixed grated GruyÃ¨re and Cheddar or any strong melting cheese
40g fresh breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200Â°C/fan180Â°C/400f/gas 6.
- Blanch the leeks and sprouts in boiling water for about 3 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water to stop them cooking, then drain again making sure you drain thoroughly otherwise you may end up with a watery sauce.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat, then stir in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly, to form a smooth sauce. Season well with nutmeg, salt and pepper and mustard if using, then add 2/3rd of the cheese.
- Stir through the leeks and sprouts, then transfer to an ovenproof dish, mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top.
- Cook the gratin in the oven for 15-20 minutes and the gratin is golden and bubbling.Â